Thursday, March 3, 2011

Field Trips and Journals!

Hello Families!

Here are three exciting dates. 

1)  Our new park date will be at 11am on March 19th at the Fanuel Park in Pacific Beach.  Bring your family, your bike, your scooter, snacks, lunch, what ever you wish.  This park is near the boardwalk, is across from the bay and has lovely views.  It should be a fun time for all!  Stay as long as you like. 

2)  Also, our next Field trip will be to a special concert in Balboa theater on thursday March 24th.  It is put on by Classics for Kids.  The concert time available is the 11:30 show.  We will have a good snack before we leave and then have lunch after the concert at the park.  I love going on these adventures and enriching our experience and we truly rely on your generosity of time to be able to go.  Please let me know if you can join us and be a driver!

3)  The field trip after that will be on April 26th, a Tuesday.  This will be to a dairy farm.  This one is a bigger day, as the farm is 30 minutes away.  I feel it will be a valuable experience to see where milk comes from and how a farm works.  This is something we don't often see, living in the city.  We plan to try to get there to have snack before the tour, and we were invited to stay after to eat lunch on the farm.  This means we would leave school at 9:30 and return to school at around 2pm.    I am thinking that if families can donate money to a gas fund, we can support the drivers so that they aren't too extended.  What a big and exiting day, I can't wait!

Finally,  I wanted to share some images from our journaling afternoons.  These have  been so calm, reflective and special.  As I sit out with your children, sometimes I'm struck by how connected they are and how willing to support each other.  The last topic was an open choice day where friends came up with what they wanted to draw and write about.  Some of the topics were: climbing a tree, aliens, little red riding hood, building or construction ideas, giraffes, a house in the sun, outer space, trees, pyramids, gardens and soldiers and jets.






Today's topic was inspired by the mail carrier we saw today. 




At this time of year my expectation is that they write at least one or a few key words. The reason, I tell them, is that when they are 20 and look back at their journal, having words might help them to better remember their ideas.  The friends are sounding out and working together to remember teams of letters and the order of letters to make a best try.  Some friends are even writing sentences in their journals!

Please make a point, when  you drop off or pick up, to ask your child to show you and explain their recent journal entries.

Thank you for sharing your amazing, funny, friendly children!  Love, Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. what day is the balboa park field trip?

    looking forward to the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction, Stephanie, I wrote it above, March 24th, Thursday. Yes, the farm should be neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    What's the name of the Dairy Farm? We wanted to check it out on the web before the trip. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it, I don't think I've ever been to a dairy farm myself.;-D Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sonia,

    Thanks for asking! It is Oma's Dairy Farm in Lakeside. I am excited, I haven't been to one either! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete