Thursday, May 10, 2012

Such a Beautiful Week!


Hello Fabulous First Grade Families!

Thank you so much for all of your teacher appreciation loveliness!  You have gone above and beyond making me feel special.  I truly don't know how many times I have said, "I am so lucky!"  Each day has unfolded new and beautiful delights.  Thank you for all the flowers to make our room so bright, for the thoughtful words and illustrations in the cards, for the tasty treats (baked sweets, tea, wine, chocolate, sushi and kombucha!) and the helpful supplies for the class.  It has been super fun to get packages at home all week and to realize that more goodies have been purchased from the class wish list.  So exciting.  I appreciate all that you do already for me and for us, so this week has been extra special.  Thank you!


This week we finally did some cooking in class.  What fun! I challenged myself to find new recipes we could do in class without an oven.  This week we only used my crock pot!  We took our half days and incorporated a recipe each day.  After reading the bread recipe, Nathaniel explained that cooking is kind of like science with all the mixing and testing.  It is!  The yeast in the bread and the concept of dissolving things was definitely science in action.

We also investigated how recipes are written.  One of the students asked if you had to do a recipe in the order it says.  My answer was to think about other things you learn and how it can be a lot easier to take an expert's advice, when you are first trying a new thing, and then test and try out your own way after you've tried it a couple of times.  I guess it can depend on how the recipe is written, right?  Or how much you know in advance.  This week we did follow the steps in order.  This reminds us of our other many discussions about following directions.  What other areas of life is it important to follow instructions in the set up order?

Here are the recipes we used this week:



Please share if you have favorite family cooking stories and recipes!  Have a nice night, Jennifer

P.S. Remember you can click on the photos to enlarge them and see the series like a slide show!
















2 comments:

  1. wow, I've made banana bread in the crockpot but never a yeast bread! we've never made butter at home either..we're going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! You'll have to tell us how it comes out. It was a lot of fun! And so good. I can't wait to make lemonade with your lemons next week, thanks!

    ReplyDelete