Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thank you!

Dear families,

Thank you for all you are doing to make this week special for us teachers!  I really need to say, "THANK YOU!"  (This week we were noticing the quotes in our songs and poems and we have also been thinking about the value of using a few all caps words for emphasis.) 

I really want to emphasize how appreciative I am for having you families this year.  You are such great people.  You are so dedicated to your children and in turn to me, it feels like a virtual hug so often.  I love being a teacher and your kids make it fun each day, so thank you to you, too for making it possible for me to teach!

As I sit here in our class, the FABULOUS smell of fresh flowers is drifting around me.  The kids have been excited thinking if only we could keep doing this, then our class would be a garden!  Well we got more potting soil, so we can plant more, so maybe this dream will come true!  :)  We are so excited about all the new supplies that came into our class.  Lovely.  I know the kids will love working with them soon.



As for this week, this post will be simple.  We have some TOP SECRET stuff of our own.  You may have noticed the covered tables of work in progress.  The kids are excited about their work and will be able to tell you about it soon.

I was asked to post the new songs.  Here they are ( we aren't watching the videos, just using them to sing...):

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/bob-marley-three-little-birds/ed7d0a6cf650efc8d0a2ed7d0a6cf650efc8d0a2-634631816727?q=three+little+birds+video&FORM=VIRE3

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/somewhere-over-the-rainbow/b17a6db7640eafcc37fab17a6db7640eafcc37fa-692669842228?cpkey=900b0816521ba5a37df1900b0816521ba5a37df1-634370523938%7Csomewhere%20over%20the%20rainbow%7C%7C&q=somewhere%20over%20the%20rainbow

We also are reciting three limericks.  These have been rather fun.  The kids are getting the hang of how the pattern goes in a limerick and are enjoying listening to the rhymes in them. 

Speedy Sam, while exploring a cave,
Had what I call a very close shave.
He stepped on a bear
That had dozed off in there
I’m glad he was faster than brave.


I bought a new hoover today,
Plugged it in in the usual way,
Switched it on- what a din;
It sucked everything in
Now I’m homeless with no place to stay.


There once was a fly on the wall.
I wonder why didn’t it fall.
Because it’s feet stuck?
Or was it just luck?
Or does gravity miss things so small?


Do you know any other limericks?

Finally, we had a neat presentation today by Aryav on circuitry.  Aryav showed how connecting different elements, battery, switch, speaker, music component and circuits, could work in different ways and create different effects.  We got to see how precise you need to be to make these work. The kids were fascinated.  I think this will stimulate more deep discussions.  Did your child tell you anything about this?






Well, I will sign off for now.  I feel so special and thankful to be surrounded by such amazing people.  Thank you for everything you do!  Love, Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. we love that version of "somewhere over the rainbow". Anthony has been playing it for Henry since he was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that version too. That is such a nice coincidence. So Henry will know it really well! :)

    ReplyDelete